Monday, February 09, 2009

Mmmm yüm! Cherry Piepoli!
























Tonight I made a homemade cherry pie! Crüst and filling all from scratchers. Yahooo! I made a small boo boo by brushing the crust with egg yolk instead of a beaten egg with milk and thüs my crust looks a bit browny toasty. I wanted to use up the egg yolks I have because we've been eating egg white omelets in the mornings and I don't know what to do with these yolks! :\ But other than that it came out just peachy. Check out the little cherry decal I made with the left over pie dough! Pretty nifty, eh? Yeah, I love it! =D


Cherry Piepoli
  • 1 recipe pastry for fancy pants pie crüst
  • 4 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt (bring out that ümami!)
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 4 cups pitted cherries (I used frozen cherries that I had on hand)
  • 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons buttah
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place bottom crust in pie dish.
  2. In a large mixing bowl combine tapioca, salt, sugar, cherries and extracts. Let stand 15 minutes. Turn out into bottom crust and dot with butter. Cover with top crust, flute edges and create lattice work. If desired, create a decal from remaining pie crust.
  3. Bake for 40 minutes in the preheated oven, until golden brown.
  4. Serve warm with a side of creme brulee ice cream! Oy.

No comments: