Sunday, October 04, 2009

Cornish Hens with Apples and Shallots


Sunday dinner is always fun to make because I start cooking at around 8am and keep going until noon. Usually I'm able to whip up a loaf of bread or two for the week, maybe some muffins and brownies for lunches and whatever the dinner of the day is.

I like to keep Sunday a big pasta day and draw out the process of making the sauce from scratch using Grandma P.'s recipe (which includes homemade briciolli and meatball) Oh so good. But today I went the way of autumn and decided to get all medieval with a cornish hen or two (which we will wash down later with some stines of grog (or some pinot grigio) ::imitates a pirate wench at a Rennasiance Faire:: Arrrrrrrr!

Now I have to tell you, I totally winged this one (get it, winged?) and changed up a recipe I found from an old Martha cookbook. I think her recipe called for grapes and shallots but I'm fresh out of grapes and heavy on the apples so I subsituted the fruit. I also found this recipe online and thought...hmmm this is a fun take on spicing up that little cornish devil so let's give this a whirl too! Right. So here's my take on it:
Udo's Cornish Hen with Apple and Shallot
  • 2 cornish game hens
  • olive oil
  • sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • Rosemary bits
  • country fresh cream butter
  • the juice of half a lemon
  • dried cranberries
  • chopped walnuts
  • 3 or 4 apples cored and cut up into pieces
  • 4 shallots halved and quartered
All of the following spices to taste (tt)
  • Paprika
  • Cinnamon
  • All Spice
  • Nutmeg

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Stuff the hens with the cranberries and walnuts. Season both sides of the hens with olive oil, some lemon juice, and all of the seasoning and spices. Tie the legs together and nestle the birds into a cookie sheet where you have spread out your chopped shallots and apples. Drizzle olive oil over the apples and shallots. Season all with a few grinds of salt and pepper. Cook the birds until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh (avoiding the bone) reads 160 degrees. Continue to occasionally baste the hens with the juices in the pan. Serve with smashed baby red potatoes. Yum!



Enjoy!
XOoXoxO <3>Udo



Ok- so it's not a cornish hen, but it's about as big as one!




No comments: