Friday, July 29, 2011

Buttermilk Chicken, Farro Salad, with Nectarine and Blackberry Cobbler

Wow! Talk about a treat! Let me tell you what, I am NOT a fan of chicken, especially chicken breast. Why? For starters chickens are not what they used to be. Organic or not, it just seems like chicken breast is always getting dried out, stringy, or rubbery even if you watch it carefully and don't over cook it.

Ready for that to all change? Well I'm going to let you in on a little secret that will change your chicken forever! It's called marinade! LOL. Seriously- marinade or a brine will make all the difference. And as proven in this Today show recipe- I can now understand why it is so urgently important to brine your turkey at Thanksgiving prior to roasting it.

This buttermilk chicken recipe works with any part of the chicken. I happened to have 2 large bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts on hand that my mom gave to me. They were frozen and I wondered what the heck I was going to do with them as I can't stand chicken- but there was no way I was turning away her generosity!

I left the frozen chicken breasts in their gallon freezer bag and added the buttermilk, spices, and garlic to the bag. I used a lot of buttermilk, enough to make sure the breasts were covered as they lay flat in the bag. Then I left the bag in the fridge to defrost over the next day or two. It was actually two days. The recipe says you should let it marinate over night or at least 12 hours but honestly- the two days produced an incredible result for us!

We took the chicken out of the bag, patted it dry and I wondered how this was going to work as far as flavor and juiciness - especially now that the chicken was no longer in the marinade and we patted the rest of it off. On the grill the chicken breast went. We placed a piece of foil down first and cooked them in the grill for about 20 minutes.

Convinced that the chicken would be overcooked and rubbery like every other piece of chicken we've had in recently recollection, I brought it in and let it sit for a bit on the butcher's block. Then I ended up refrigerating it for a few hours until dinner was ready. I made the farro salad in the meantime, grilling the asparagus and corn. This salad is to die for! Delicious! I never heard of farro before and I am so happy to have it in my mix of grain goodies now!

By the time dinner rolled around- the cobbler was baked and cooling and the farro salad was chilling in the ice box. I put the chicken on a plate and reheated it in the mircro. Nervous, I thought for sure this was going to be a rubbery mess.

NOPE.
NO WAY.
NADA!

Wow! Both my husband and I were FLOORED by the juicy tenderness that was in every bite of this buttermilk chicken! That buttermilk must have gotten into every fiber and swelled it to the max with tender taste! Unbelievable what a difference this recipe will make to your chicken dishes. The taste was also very light and flavorful- not overpowering in the least. Delicious! I highly encourage you to try this entire recipe collection out. It's certainly one that can be made the day before and heated through when your company or your family is ready to eat! XOX <3 Udo

Here's the link to the recipes. The video will load shortly below.


1 comment:

PM said...

What a tasty dish!