Sunday, August 14, 2011

Blueberry Festival Bluberry Corn Muffins

So yesterday was in a word AWESOME! My husband and I went to a butterfly house where beautiful little butterflies (over 500!) were flittering about and adorning us like jewels! One landed on my husband's arm and one stayed in my hair for quite some time as a beautiful ornament! Wow. It was really cool to see what a little caterpillar case looks like! It was like a jade jewel! We got to hold one right in our hands - it was like something you would see on a necklace - it even had a gold thread going through it that the caterpillar had woven into it. Just remarkable! I remember reading somewhere (perhaps in Deepak Chopra's Book of Secrets) that the same horomones and chemicals that cause a butterfly's wings to flap are the same hormones and chemicals that cause the human heart to beat - all without any conscious thought given to it. Remarkable. Interwoven beauty. Proufoundly beautiful  realizations!

After the butterfly house we made our way to the blueberry festival. So cute and fun! I've never met nicer people than farmers. What a darling family!!! Of course they all got a kick out of the fact that I am 8 months pregnant and had no qualms about hopping on a hayride to the blueberry patch to pick some berries with my Huckleberry Finn. Off we went! Bumpy road but baby loved it! We took a farm tour and saw the free range chickens (that looked healthy, fluffy, white as snow, and absolutely DELICIOUS) and the free range sows and pigs (mmm surprisingly they were a little frightening to me with all that grunting and mulling about... I couldn't help but have LOST flashbacks anticipating Sawyer or Locke coming out of the bushes with a shiv to capture their dinner) and then off to pick some blueberries!

We did pretty well for ourselves! (One for me, one for the bucket, one for me, one for the bucket) and picked up some Buckwheat honey (rich in Iron!) and headed off to home.

This morning I decided to make some blueberry cornmeal muffins! Now I can't begin to tell you of the challenges one faces with making baked goods sans an electric mixer. :\ It'll be quite some time before I'm able to save up for one of those fancy beautiful doo-dads - so in the meantime, every baking recipe I have is made by hand with a wooden spoon! At least my bi's and tri's are getting a workout!

Here's the recipe link I used from good ol' Martha May. They are baking in the oven as we speak... Can't wait to smear a lashing of country fresh cream butter on one and gobble it up! XOXO <3 Udo

No comments: