Friday, August 14, 2009

Steaks, Cornbread, & Ooo La La!

This is the cornbread I made

It went deliciously with the steak and bernaise sauce
Instead of using milk in the cornbread recipe, I used probiotic yogurt


Ok, so I made the mother of all steak dinners last night. We needed a little mid-week 'pick me up' so we had a steak and champagne slümber party. Let me tell you this dinner was glorioüs! Just glorioüs. I'm salivating as I type this. Oh my. It was indeed delicious.

The hungry man ranked this whole getup as his number 1 all time favorite. It was just a really great cut of steak, some roasted baby new potatoes with roasted garlic, and I made a lücious Bearnaise sauce to dip the steak into.

Served with a side of warm homemade cornbread.

AHHHH!!! SOOOO GOOOOD!!!

It was an out of body experience, I'm tellng you.

::shivers::

So y'all know how to cook steak, and potatoes and roasted garlic is easy schmeezy. Ze little Bearnaise sauce however, vell, :snickers like a snooty chef: I vill tell you my secret.

Üdo's Ooo La La! Bearnaise Saüce
This succulent sip of sassafrass usually calls for some white wine, egg, butter, tarragon, shallots, and chervil.... Me? I like to add a teensy bit of decadence to this slip of a sin by substituting Champagne for white wine (oh yes!) and a teensy bit of heavy cream (or soy milk). Right. Here's now to do it...

  • 1.5 cups of melted country fresh cream butter
  • 4 egg yolks
  • a splash of lemon juice (to taste)
  • tarragon to taste (I used dried tarragon and usually a pinch or 1 tblspn)
  • parsely (again I used dried parsely and a pinch of it or 1 tblspn)
  • 2 small shallots chopped finely
  • ¼ cup of Champagne (or dry white wine if you prefer)
  • a grind of sweet sea salt
  • a grind of fresh black pepper

Using a double boiler (or if you don't have one just be super careful and use low heat in a regular pot) beat ze egg yolks and ze lemon juice (making sure it emulsifies). You are simmering this mixture- do not boil… ever.. at all..

Now you slowly add the melted butter to ze eggs/lemon juice mixture. Add your sea salt, pepper, the tarragon, parsely, and the shallots. Whisk…

Now add the Champagne (or white wine). Whisk and remove from heat. The sauce will thicken a bit after sitting for a few minutes. If you need to thin it out, you can use melted butter or heavy cream (or even a bit of soy milk to give it a sweeter flavour). Enjoy!


Üdo's Qüick and Easy Cornbread
1 and 1/4 cups of flour
3/4 cup of cornmeal
1/4 cup of sugar
2 tsp baking powder
a few grinds of sweet sea salt
a few grinds of freshly cracked black pepper
1/2 cup of probiotic yogurt mixed with 1/2 cup of water
1/4 cup of vegetable oil
1 egg

Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease a bread pan with Crisco. Combine your dry ingredients and then stir in the yogurt/water mixture, oil, and egg mixing it until all the dry ingredients are moistened. Do not over mix. Pour batter into your greased pan. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until light golden brown. Serve warm with lashings of country fresh cream butter and strawberry jam. YUM.

Enjoy!
XOoXoOX <3>Üdo

I was tumbling around the internet looking for a french inspired animation to add to this post and I found this delicate and lovely story called "Riba". It's about a little red fish (she reminded me of our Ruby) and a tall lanky cat. It's just beautiful... Enjoy.

2 comments:

Retromodgirl said...

I want to come to your house for dinner! That cornbread looks luscious!

Udo Umami said...

Ahaha! Anytime you want RMG! Tonight we're having Boeuf Bourgignon... I'll save a spot for you at the table. ;) XoxOox <3 Udo